PS3 Review: Singstar Pop Edition
May 27, 2009 by Adam Waddilove
Sony presents another great version of Singstar…
Now this is more like it. Instead of the past games being mainly focused on one band like ABBA and Queen, Singstar Pop Edition adds in more popular songs from the past and more recent greats like Black and Gold, Sex on Fire and Human. I was a little surprised by the tracklist and I personally consider it to be the best line-up of songs on a Singstar disc that I’ve come across.
Here’s the international playlist:
• Alphabeat – 10,000 Nights
• Amy Winehouse – Rehab
• Bon Jovi – Livin’ On A Prayer
• Chris Brown – With You
• Chris De Burgh – Lady In Red
• Cyndi Lauper – True Colors
• Gloria Estefan – Rhythm Is Gonna Get You
• Jordin Sparks feat. Chris Brown – No Air
• Kaiser Chiefs – Never Miss A Beat
• Kate Nash – Mouthwash
• Kings Of Leon – Sex On Fire
• Klaxons – Gravity’s Rainbow
• Little Jackie – The World Should Revolve Around Me
• Madness – It Must Be Love
• Nelly feat. Fergie – Party People
• P!nk – So What!
• Queen – Bohemian Rhapsody
• Robbie Williams – Angels
• Robyn – Be Mine
• Rockwell – Somebody’s Watching Me
• Sam Sparro – Black And Gold
• Solange – I Decided
• Sugababes – Girls
• The Feeling – Rosé
• The Killers – Human
• The Police – Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
• The Script – The Man Who Can’t Be Moved
• Will Young – Changes
• will.i.am feat Cheryl Cole – Heartbreaker
• Yazoo – Don’t Go
This version of Singstar finally introduces trophy support to the series, the trophy list looks pretty tough and I’m not sure if it just applies to the Pop Edition or if it works with all versions of the game since the title for the game in the trophy menu is just labelled as Singstar. It’s great to finally have it and it gives the game more a sense of purpose other than just belting out the odd song for fun, it gives it more replay value as you try and earn those elusive ones.
Videos still appear to be in standard definition, which is disappointing. Some of these videos aren’t that old, so surely there must be a HD version lying around somewhere? Either way, I think it’s about time the game got them. It’s a small complaint to be sure, but one that is becoming more and more noticeable on my HDTV.
Besides the new tracklist and trophy support, there isn’t anything new about the Pop Edition to get excited about, the game plays the same way it always has, the menus look the same, it’s essentially just an add-on to a popular game, but it does just enough to satisfy fans. I must admit, I was overjoyed when I saw that Sex on Fire was on the disc, damn I love that song. There are a few songs I don’t like on there, but you can’t please everyone. Having said that, there are more songs on there that I like than I don’t like, which is a big plus in my book.
Don’t go expecting a revolution when it comes to Singstar Pop Edition, instead you get a great set of songs to add to your collection and finally the chance to earn trophies for your singing, making it a must-have game for any Singstar fan.